3D Printer Buyers Guide
1. Stay away from Makerbot - expensive and constant mechanical problems
2. Stay away from printers that use cartridges or only allow you to print using their filament (DaVinci, Cube, etc). The cartridges usually cost twice as much as normal filament and in the case of the Cube they are going out of business. I buy Hatchbox filament on Amazon 1kg for about $23. Great stuff.
3. The cheapest "good" printer is the Printrbot Play - $399.
4. 3D Printing is hard. Don't make it harder by getting a printer you have to assemble yourself unless you know what you're doing.
5. Be realistic. 3D printing takes a LONG time. On average a print 3x1x4 print takes 3.5 hours. I've had some go for 20+ hours
6. If it doesn't have an LCD screen you'll probably have to use a computer to print on it and that means leaving that computer running. Computer crash = failed print.
7. No heated bed = Probably going to need an enclosure to put it in. Otherwise your A/C will ruin your print.